Iraq says air defenses did not detect drones toward Saudi Arabia

Iraq says air defenses did not detect drones toward Saudi Arabia

BAGHDAD, MAY 18: Iraq’s foreign ministry said Monday that the country’s air defense systems had not detected any drones launched from its territory toward Saudi Arabia.

Late Sunday, Saudi Arabia said it had intercepted and destroyed three drones that entered from Iraqi airspace, adding that it “reserves the right to respond at the appropriate time and place.”

But, the Iraqi foreign ministry said authorities had opened an investigation “to determine the circumstances surrounding the incident.”

It added that the country’s air defense and surveillance systems had not detected any launches.

The ministry urged Riyadh “to cooperate and share relevant information to help ensure accurate information that strengthen security and stability in both brotherly countries.”

No Iraqi group has claimed responsibility for the drones.

After the United States and Israel attacked Iran on February 28, and before a ceasefire was announced, Tehran-backed Iraqi groups intervened in support of Iran and struck US facilities in Iraq and the wider region, including Gulf countries.

Last month, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain and Jordan issued a joint statement demanding that Baghdad act immediately to prevent attacks from its territory by Iran-backed armed groups.

Iraq has repeatedly said it does not allow its territory to be used in attacks against other countries.