Sindh govt decides to form judicial commission to probe Mir Raza case

Sindh govt decides to form judicial commission to probe Mir Raza case

ISLAMABAD, AUG 23: The Sindh cabinet has decided to form a judicial commission to investigate the death of young businessman Mir Raza Ali, who died in Karachi’s Gulistan-e-Jauhar last month.

Sindh Chief Minister’s spokesperson said that Murad Ali Shah received a letter addressed by the family “with compassion and the utmost seriousness”.

“After carefully considering the concerns expressed by the family, the government of Sindh has decided to request the honourable Chief Justice of the Sindh High Court to establish a Judicial Commission to conduct an impartial and transparent inquiry,” the spokesperson added.

Ali, an IBA graduate and businessman, was found dead in Karachi’s Gulistan-e-Jauhar a day after he went missing on July 28. His father has consistently maintained that his son was murdered and has rejected suggestions that the death was a case of suicide.

According to the spokesperson, the commission will conduct an impartial and transparent inquiry into the case. It will examine whether the investigation has been carried out fairly and in accordance with the law, while also identifying any investigative angles or evidence requiring further examination.

The commission will also be tasked with determining whether any police officer, medico-legal officer or other public official was responsible for negligence, dereliction of duty, professional misconduct, suppression or manipulation of evidence, or any unlawful act, omission or cover-up. It may recommend further investigation, forensic analysis and appropriate legal or departmental action wherever necessary.

The spokesperson said the commission will exercise all powers available under the Sindh Tribunals of Inquiry Ordinance, 1969, including those of a civil court to summon witnesses, examine them on oath and require the production of documents and records.

“The Commission shall further determine whether any police officer, medico-legal officer or other official committed negligence, dereliction of duty, professional misconduct, suppression or manipulation of evidence, or any unlawful act, omission or cover-up,” the spokesperson added.

All government departments and agencies have been directed to extend full cooperation, while the Home Department will provide secretariat support.

The commission will also asked to submit its findings and recommendations to the Sindh government within 30 days of its constitution, or within an extended period if required for a complete and fair inquiry.

The Sindh government hoped that It is hoped that a “transparent” judicial inquiry will address the family’s legitimate concerns, establish accountability wherever warranted and reinforce confidence in the rule of law.

Family opposes judicial commission, demands JIT formation
Meanwhile speaking to told Geo News, Ali’s family lawyer, Jibran Nasir, said that they would approach the Sindh High Court on Monday morning against the formation of the judicial commission.

He added that he had previously written to the Sindh chief minister regarding concerns over the investigation. The lawyer also called for a joint investigation team (JIT) to be formed to investigate the incident.

Earlier, Sindh police issued its first formal statement on the case, saying an investigation team was continuing its probe and reviewing medical reports, evidence and the work carried out by the previous investigation team.

According to the police spokesperson, certain points in the reports require further clarification, for which information is being sought from the relevant institutions.

The spokesperson said clarification of the unclear points in the chemical analysis reports could lead to important progress in the investigation.

Police said the investigation was continuing on the basis of available technical, digital, forensic and other reliable evidence.